Friday, September 9, 2016

A beautifully expressed account of living and dying...


As a Stage IV lung cancer survivor, I could very much relate to many thoughts the author expresses in this book. The following is a touching example:
"Time for me is now double-edged: every day brings me further from the low of my last relapse but closer to the next recurrence—and, eventually, death. Perhaps later than I think, but certainly sooner than I desire. There are, I imagine, two responses to that realization. The most obvious might be an impulse to frantic activity: to “live life to its fullest,” to travel, to dine, to achieve a host of neglected ambitions. Part of the cruelty of cancer, though, is not only that it limits your time; it also limits your energy, vastly reducing the amount you can squeeze into a day. It is a tired hare who now races. And even if I had the energy, I prefer a more tortoise-like approach. I plod, I ponder."
This book is beautifully written and full of the candor of a man who knew and appreciated the life he was given.

When Breath Becomes Air https://www.amazon.com/dp/081298840X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xnK0xbK4SJ8HG

No comments:

Post a Comment