Tuesday, May 31, 2011

WALKING IN HIGHER THINGS

Amplified Bible
That you may walk (live and conduct yourselves) in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him and desiring to please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and steadily growing and increasing in and by the knowledge of God [with fuller, deeper, and clearer insight, acquaintance, and recognition].
Colossians 1:9-11
Today was shopping day with my daughter and granddaughter.   Even though  shopping with these two treasures of my heart is one of my very favorite things to do, it also presents special challenges.  My twelve year old granddaughter is enthralled with shoes.  Not just shoes in general but specifically shoes with very tall stilletto heels!  Our day included, as it often does, my daughter and I waiting for long minutes in several mall shoe stores as Abigail, my granddaughter, tried on heels that would take an aerial artist to actually maneuver walking in!

Abigail's taste in shoes and eagerness to jump ahead into things that still need a few more years of growth on her part reminds me of my Christian walk.  I have found myself, often in the past, attempting to balance on heights that I was not quite yet ready for!   My eagerness to walk into visions and plans GOD had given me before HIS appointed time for me to do so left me wobbling precariously!   I needed to learn that, first, we must all go through the maturing process so our walk can be one of grace and inner beauty.   This process includes acquiring  strength through self discipline and developing the balance that comes through the preparation exercises of prayer and study.  Then we, just like Abigail, can walk in the desires of our hearts with victory and delight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment